It is fun going down into Goole with the big ships and the South Yorks Boat Museum.
Coudn’t resist being a bit arty with the tug pushing the false bow from the Tom Puddings.
In 1817, there was a proposal for an Aire and Don Canal, to connect Knottingley to the Dutch River at Newbridge, with a branch to Doncaster, and another for a Went and Wakefield Canal, to connect Cold Hindley on the Barnsley Canal to Newbridge on the Don. With revenue from tolls reaching £82,092 in 1818, which enabled a dividend of £54,000 to be paid, the company was in a healthy state, and proposed their own route from Haddlesey to the Dutch River.
The destination was then changed to Goole. John Rennie was asked to survey the route and proposed the construction of docks at Goole, rather than a lock into the river. Construction at Goole started on 28 September 1822, and the company eventually built much of the new town and docks.
So that’s Lady Teal mixes with the big boats, or ships!