Locks, History and Aqueducts
Views, locks, lakes and an amazing swing aqueduct
Bridgewater Marina nr. Manchester
Click Here To Download
Near Chorley and the lovely Johnson Hillock locks at one end and the historic Bridgewater canal at the other.
This cruise covers a lot of canal history including the canal that started the canal mania period.
The Lancashire countryside is always a surprise with its rolling countryside, wildlife and lovely walks.
The cruise also has our most lock intensive day as we pass through the wonderful flight at Wigan, another surprise as it is a lovely flight, we even see Kingfishers there. Then its onto the Bridgewater canal.
Along the way we will:
- Wend our way through lovely countryside.
- Pass down the amazing Wigan flight of 21 locks.
- Pass flashes, areas of subsidence create as a result of mining that are now flooded nature reserves.
- We will visit the lovely village of Worsley , site of the start of the Bridgewater canal.
- Time permitting we will cruise over the Barton Aqueduct high above the Manchester ship canal